Prefer to talk to an actual person? Call me on ...
Living in Turkey Questions
Click a question to learn more..
- Which visa do I need to work legally in Turkey? In order to work legally in Turkey you’ll need a work permit. However, many schools will want you to work on a tourist visa and leave the country every three months in order to renew it. While this is widespread, it is not something we wo...(read more)
- What is the cost of living like in Turkey? The cost of living in Turkey is pretty low, so you’ll be able to live comfortably on an average teacher’s salary. Renting a room in a shared apartment costs around 500TRY per month, while a 3-course meal out will cost around 20TRY....(read more)
- What is the standard of accommodation like in Turkey? Not bad at all – you’ll probably be sharing with other teachers/expats and, while some apartments will be lacking in modern appliances and may feel a little bit dated, they will be clean and comfortable....(read more)
- How much tax will I have to pay on my earnings in Turkey? Around 15-25% of your salary will go towards tax, depending on how much you earn. ...(read more)
- Can I find TEFL jobs while in Turkey? Of course – this is actually the best way to find jobs in Turkey, as you’re there on the ground ready to take advantage of opportunities. ...(read more)
Advice from the Experts
A few of our TEFL experts (Dave, Meryl, Laura, Rebecca, Rachel and Rich) have also come out from behind their headsets to answer some of our most popular TEFL questions on camera: please excuse the giggles ‐ they all got a bit nervous!
Anyway, take and look, and if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, just give one of them a call ‐ they don’t seem to be able to keep a straight face, but when it comes to TEFL they really know what they’re talking about!
- 01. I am not a native speaker, can I still do the course / find work?
- 02. Which course is right for me?
- 03. How are i-to-i courses accredited?
- 04. I'm a non native speaker. Can I still do the weekend course?
- 05. How do I pass the weekend course?
- 06. Who attends the weekend course?
- 07. What do I need to bring with me on the weekend course?
- 08. How much of the online course do I need to complete before I attend the weekend course?
- 09. What is the demand for TEFL?
- 10. How do I find work after my course?
- 11. What is the difference between the short course and a 4 week programme?
- 12. Do I need to speak the local language of the county I'm teaching in?
- 13. I don't have a degree, where can I teach?
- 14. Can I still find work with just the 20 hour weekend course?
- 15. Who can TEFL?
- 16. What is TEFL?
- 17. How do i-to-i's courses work?
You need Flash to view the FAQ videos - Click here to go get it
Currently playing: The title of this video