Prefer to talk to an actual person? Call me on ...
Finding A TEFL Job Questions
Click a question to learn more..
Page 1 out of 3 Pages
- Can I talk to someone who's found work abroad with an i-to-i TEFL course?Certainly! Our wonderful TEFL community, Chalkboard, is full of people who did i-to-i TEFL courses and are now teaching abroad, everywhere from Italy to Indonesia. ...(read more)
- Do I need a TEFL/TESOL certificate to teach abroad?That's a bit like asking whether you need to take a driving test to get behind the wheel of a car. Yes, you'll be able to make the car go forwards and backwards without much training, but you'll probably end up bumping into a few thing...(read more)
- Do I need a degree to teach abroad?It just depends on where you want to head to. In some countries you'll need a degree to get a teaching job due to pesky visa reasons. For example, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand and South Korea are of limits to those who haven't been to univer...(read more)
- Where can I practice my teaching skills?If you've done your TEFL course, but are still a little nervous about heading abroad to teach, there are plenty of opportunities to practice your teaching skills. You could volunteer, or there's always the option to put your skills to use ...(read more)
- What's life like as a TEFL teacher?Pretty darn exciting to be honest! Check out Chalkboard to read stories from TEFL teachers out there in action and get a taste of what your day-to-day life could be like....(read more)
- Do I need to speak another language to teach abroad?The simple answer is no. You really don’t need to have a full grasp of the local lingo to be an English teacher overseas. In fact it’s kind of frowned upon for English teachers to speak the local language when they’re in the clas...(read more)
- I don't like kids, can I still teach abroad?Screaming, crying, hyperactive children not your cup of tea? If you fancy a more peaceful time teaching English abroad then don't worry, there are plenty of opportunities to teach adults! ...(read more)
- What age groups can I teach as an EFL teacher?Teaching abroad isn't just about the kids - you could find yourself teaching anyone, from toddlers and teenagers, to businesspeople and retirees. Exactly which age group you'll end up will just depend on your contract and the school where ...(read more)
- How much cash can I make teaching English abroad?We'll let you in on a secret: unless you win the lottery while you're doing it, teaching English abroad won't make you a millionaire! What it will give you, however, is a different kind of wealth - the chance to live and work in amazin...(read more)
- How long are TEFL contracts?Just like the people who take them on, TEFL contracts come in all shapes and sizes. Generally the minimum length is around 3 or 4 months, and most last 6 months to 1 year. ...(read more)
Advice from the Experts
A few of our TEFL experts (Dave, Meryl, Laura, Rebecca, Rachel and Rich) have also come out from behind their headsets to answer some of our most popular TEFL questions on camera: please excuse the giggles ‐ they all got a bit nervous!
Anyway, take and look, and if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, just give one of them a call ‐ they don’t seem to be able to keep a straight face, but when it comes to TEFL they really know what they’re talking about!
- 01. I am not a native speaker, can I still do the course / find work?
- 02. Which course is right for me?
- 03. How are i-to-i courses accredited?
- 04. I'm a non native speaker. Can I still do the weekend course?
- 05. How do I pass the weekend course?
- 06. Who attends the weekend course?
- 07. What do I need to bring with me on the weekend course?
- 08. How much of the online course do I need to complete before I attend the weekend course?
- 09. What is the demand for TEFL?
- 10. How do I find work after my course?
- 11. What is the difference between the short course and a 4 week programme?
- 12. Do I need to speak the local language of the county I'm teaching in?
- 13. I don't have a degree, where can I teach?
- 14. Can I still find work with just the 20 hour weekend course?
- 15. Who can TEFL?
- 16. What is TEFL?
- 17. How do i-to-i's courses work?
You need Flash to view the FAQ videos - Click here to go get it
Currently playing: The title of this video