My last post was full of dismay as I had decided it was not safe to go to Thailand. The day I was scheduled to fly, it wasn't.
A week later it was.
I tried to get back on board but found out I would have to wait until the start of the next term, which I gladly signed up for.
As disappointed as I was at the time, and as excited as I am to teach in Thailand, now I know that it was good that my trip was delayed.
My constant companion, my dear dog, Dale, passed away. I struggled with leaving him to teach in Thailand but knew that I had to grasp this opportunity while I could, and he was healthy as a horse (and he was almost as large as one!) right before he wasn't.
I was able to be with him during his last day and say good-bye, something I would not have been able to do if I were overseas.
In a way, he's set me free. I can now stay as long as I want (whereas previously I was planning on returning after a year so I could be with him).
I'm also able to prepare more for my position, spend time with friends and family, and enjoy the amazing summer Portland has to offer.
I am, however, greatly looking forward to arriving in Thailand in the next couple months!
I am wondering how things are going for teachers who are there now, especially in the school I still plan on teaching in? (Patai Udom Suksa)
Let me know! i look forward to hearing from folks already in Thailand as well as anybody set up for the October date!