In 4 days time - Thurs 15 July - I board the plane to Hanoi. Right now I'm alternating between being so excited I can't sit still or having a little cry cos I'm scared and don't want to go!!
So having bummed out of the China Internship, what am I going to do? Basically a bit of volunteer work with i-to-i and then set off on my own around South East Asia. The outline plan is as follows and surprisingly for me (I'm one of life's obsessive planners), I've left flexibility in it for exciting things to just develop as I go along.
- 15 to 30 Jul ~ fly to Hanoi and work with Orphans & Special Needs Children for 2 weeks. Hoping to use the weekends to go to Ha Long Bay and also 3 days trekking in Sapa.
- 30 Jul to 8 Aug ~ make my way down through Vietnam to Ho Chi Min City. Will probably do this on the Reunification Express Train, stopping of at a couple of places along the way. Quite like the look of doing a Perfume River Tour in Hue.
- 8 to 13 Aug ~ travel across the border into Cambodia and then up through Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Mooch around Siem Reap, mainly in the Temples at Angkor Wat for a few days.
- 13 to 18 Aug ~ fly to Borneo and stay in the Sandarkan/Sepilok Area. Spend at least a day at the Organgutan sanctuary and live in a stilt house in the rain forest surrounded by Proboscis monkeys, bats and crocodiles!
- 18 to 26 Aug ~ fly to Bali where I meet my little sister and (for the first time) her Balinese Boyfriend. I'll be staying with his family for most of the time so will get to experience the real Bali. Doglag and his mum have told me that they'll teach me how to cook traditional Balinese food - yum! And despite looking forward to going on retreat, my sister and I have decided to climb a volcano rather than spending time meditating and being pampered ~ I'm not quite sure how that happened!
- 26 to 29 Aug ~ fly to Bangkok and stay in a luxury room in a hotel on the banks of the river. If I resolve my ethical deliberations, I may just go and see the Tiger Temple. But I'll certainly spend time in the floating markets whilst avoiding any mass demonstrations!
- 29 Aug ~ fly home, spending the flight time reflecting on my journey and thinking about how I want my life to change when I get home.
Now I've type that - I'm feeling all excited again now ;o)