Groups Ask a TEFL Expert! Discussion TEFL Good for Cruiser?

TEFL Good for Cruiser?

Subscribe to TEFL Good for Cruiser? 1 post, 1 voice , Tagged: sailing cruising circumnavigation

318ps1_medium triton318 1 post

I am planning an extended cruise aboard my sailboat, beginning in the summer of 2012. The plan is to take about 10 years to experience the world from the deck of a small sailboat. Since I was a boy, I've dreamed of seeing the world and experiencing different cultures. My two deployments to the western Pacific while I was in the navy (1981-85) only increased my desire to spend time visiting other cultures. Because I'm not independently wealthy, I will need to periodically stop during my cruise to replenish funds. Having taught elementary school, I thought that perhaps teaching English as a foreign language would be ideal. For example, let's say that in about six months I plan to be sailing through southeast Asia. I know I need to replenish the cruising funds. While in port in Madagascar, I go online and search for a 6-month or one-year position in Thailand (located on or near the coast) that starts six months hence. Ideally, I would want the location of the teaching position to be in the same city or town where I can keep my boat, either at a mooring or a dock.

So, in theory, does this sound practical? Possible?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Jay

Rate this discussion topic