“Just 8 reasons? That’s all we get?”
No no no no no no, there are waaaaaaay more than 8 reasons, but rather than jump up in your face with 8,000,000 reasons (pretty sure we could find that many if we had more time) we’ll start with 8.
If you’re finding the thought of finding a teaching job and jumping on a flight to China a little daunting, then a China internship could be for you. We’ve made it easy to TEFL in China! Read on for just a few reasons to reserve your spot on the next internship opportunity!
1. Everything is arranged for you. Everything. An internship will already be set up for you. So for the lazy – this is for you! You won’t have to lift a finger. Well, except to pick up the chalk and write the lessons on the blackboard. You’ll spend five months in China, during which time you’ll complete over 200 hours of practical teaching experience. By the time you’ll be done, you’ll have the confidence to enter any classroom and teach away!
2. In-country support. i-to-i has teamed up with the reputable Beijing-based organization, TTC (Teach & Travel China) – experts in organizing cultural programs. So when you get to China, TTC will be there to help any time you need it with 24/7 in-country support. You’ll never be left stranded on your own, with a problem that can’t be answered.
3. New friends from all around the globe. On the internship you’ll be joined by other interns from the UK, US, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand. You’ll automatically have a group of new international friends and you can support each other through your first months of TEFL. These guys can help if you’re feeling homesick. And you’ll not only be learning about Chinese culture, you’ll be learning about whether Guinness goes with dim sum.
4. Full TEFL training – Included in the program is the full 140 hour combined TEFL course, so you’ll be totally prepped when you get to China and do your classroom course in Beijing. And the class will be fresh in your mind when you start teaching.
5. Your accommodation and food are provided for you and you’ll get a monthly allowance! Again, good for the lazy. You’ll live in a private bedroom in shared accommodation, and receive all meals during the week at your school. You can have fun with your allowance and spend it on whatever you like!
6. You’ll get a two week orientation in Beijing including Mandarin lessons! TTC will cover the essentials of living and teaching in China with you, so you’ll be prepared for whatever Chinese culture has to throw at you (grasshoppers on skewers). You’ll also have six hours of Mandarin lessons to give you basic language skills which will help you enjoy living in China and interact with the locals!
7. And how about China itself…China is a unique place with a totally different culture. They’re known for their delicious and experimental food, welcoming people, interesting history and incredible sites – such as the Great Wall of China.
8. It all starts in China… but where will it end?! The Teach in China internship is a fantastic way to start out as a TEFL teacher, and it doesn’t have to stop once your five months is up, oh no! Many wise China interns have used the internship as a stepping stone to either extend their stay in China or go TEFL in a different country. It’s up to you!