Indian Rupees (INR)
- Although most classes in Indian schools are taught in English, there are many locals with an excellent grasp of the language. As a result, the demand for native English speakers is lower than in other Asian countries. However, having an additional language such as Japanese or German will increase your chances of employment.
- Main TEFL regions
- New Delhi, Calcutta and Bangalore; with opportunities for unpaid volunteering in several rural areas
- Types of teaching
- State and private schools: General English, English for Younger Learners
Nurseries: English for Younger Learners
Non-profit schools for street children: General English, English for Younger Learners
Corporate in-house language programs: General English, English for Specific Purposes
- Your employer won’t usually provide accommodation, although you can negotiate this. A good-quality, serviced, 2-3 bedroom apartment will cost between US$175-300 per month in Delhi, with prices lower in other cities and rural areas.
- Flight reimbursement
- This varies, but is not usual for English teachers in India
- Salaries are typically around US$900 per month, but you could rise to as much as US$1800 depending on your experience and negotiating skills!
- On a salary of US$900 per month, expect to pay about 9% tax, on US$1800 per month you’ll pay closer to 19%.
- Cost of living
- The cost of living is notoriously cheap in India, especially if you eat local food (although you may want to consider vegetarianism!). You should have enough money left over to explore the country in your spare time.
- Potential to save money
- After you’ve paid for your living expenses and travel around India, you won’t have much left to put in the bank on a low salary. However, if you decide to stay in India long-term and develop your teaching career here, your high earnings will allow you to save plenty of money.
- How much TEFL training is recommended?
- Given the moderate demand for teachers and to maximize your earning potential, you should get a recognized TEFL qualification such as those offered by i-to-i.
- Common teaching conditions
- Expect to work for 20-40 hours per week, depending on where you work. Class sizes vary, with is few as 20 pupils or as many as 60!