Canadian Dollars (CAD)
- There are lots of teaching jobs in Canada, but there are also lots of TEFL schools, so you’ll have to compete with the thousands of locals who graduate as teachers each year.
- Main TEFL regions
- Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Winnipeg
- Types of teaching
- Private language schools: General English, Business English, TOEFL
In-company: General English, Business English
Government-sponsored immigrant programs: General English, English for Academic Purpose
- You’ll usually be left to your own devices when it comes to finding accommodation. A small apartment in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver will cost about Cn$600 per month. Look in local newspapers or on craiglist if you’re trying to find a place.
- Flight reimbursement
- Not common
- Cn$25-50 per hour in Public Sector Schools, but you will have to be very well qualified to work here.
- Cn$12-40 per hour in Private Language Schools. Most newly-qualified TEFL teachers will earn around Cn$20 per hour.
- Most teachers will pay about 15% of their salary as tax.
- Cost of living
- Costs are slightly lower than in the USA’s big cities, and much lower than most of Western Europe. A cheap restaurant meal starts at Cn$10, going to see a movie will be about Cn$8.50, while a beer in a bar will set you back about Cn$5
- Potential to save money
- Unless you’re very well-qualified and thus well paid, you’re unlikely to be able to save any money.
- How much TEFL training is recommended?
- You will need a degree and a TEFL certificate at the very least. The job market in Canada is very competitive, so you should take comprehensive training - such as that provided in the 100-hour Combined Course.
- If you want to work in the public sector, you’ll either need a TESL Canada approved course or you’ll have to pay TESL Canada to confirm that your MA course is sufficient (approx Cn$300).
- Common teaching conditions
- A full-time position will see you working for 25 hours per week. However, it can be difficult to find these positions, so many teachers end up working for more than one school. This will involve a fair bit of travelling between classes.